How your foot doctor in Avon, CT, can help with heel pain
If you are suffering from heel pain, you may be wondering what is causing it. The truth is, there are many causes of heel pain, and here at Avon Podiatry Associates in Avon, CT, Dr. Richard J. Grayson can help find the source of your particular discomfort. help you and your feet feel better. Read on to learn how:
More about heel pain
Heel pain can make it difficult to put weight on your feet, stand, or walk around for long periods of time. There are many things that can cause heel pain, including:
- Stepping on sharp objects, which can cause a heel bruise; you can do a lot to prevent a heel bruise by avoiding uneven ground and always wearing protective footwear while outside.
- Excess calcium deposits, which can cause a heel spur; marked by a hard protrusion on the heelbone, your podiatrist can diagnose whether you are suffering heel pain due to a heel spur by performing an x-ray screening.
- Inflammation of the thick band of tissue running across your heel, which can cause plantar fasciitis; you can help prevent plantar fasciitis by avoiding walking or standing on hard surfaces for long periods of time, and maintain a healthy weight to avoid foot stress. Plantar fasciitis is also caused by overpronation (the act of rolling your feet while walking).
There are some simple remedies you can try at home to get relief from heel pain. Consider:
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory or pain medication
- Placing ice on your heel several times each day
- Wearing cushions or heel supports in your shoes
- Resting and taking weight off of your feet
For stubborn heel pain that doesn’t respond to home therapies, you should seek out the help of your foot doctor. Professional treatment for heel pain may include:
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Custom-fit orthotics, wedges, or footwear
- Physical therapy and heel stretches
- Extracorporeal shock wave treatment (ESWT)
Need relief? Give us a call
Your foot doctor can help discover what is causing your heel pain and the best treatment to get relief. To find out more about treatment for heel pain and other common foot issues, call Dr. Richard J. Grayson of Avon Podiatry Associates in Avon, CT, today at (860) 677-7733.