How your podiatrist in Avon, CT, can help with bunion pain
Bunions aren’t just annoying; they can be painful too. They are a common foot problem, especially for women. In fact, over half of the women in the United States have had a bunion at some point, according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
The good news is, your podiatrist can help. Dr. Richard Grayson at Avon Podiatry Associates in Avon, CT, offers comprehensive footcare, including treatment options for bunions.
A bunion looks like a large bony bump on the side of your big toe. Bunions can be caused by a bone deformity, and wearing shoes that are too narrow. Shoes without enough room for your toes cause the toes to crush together. The big toe joint bends outward and rubs against the inside of your shoe. The friction causes irritation, inflammation, and eventually, a bunion.
You can do a lot to prevent bunions by wearing supportive, comfortable shoes with plenty of room for your toes. If you do get a bunion, you can try some simple therapies to get relief. Consider:
- Applying ice to the bunion for 15 minutes several times during the day to reduce swelling
- Wearing inserts or pads inside your shoes to cushion the bunion
- Taping your toe and the bunion to add support
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication to reduce swelling and pain
For large, painful bunions, you need the services of your podiatrist. At Avon Podiatry Associates, your podiatrist may recommend:
- Removing corns and calluses on your foot to reduce friction
- Physical therapy and exercises to maintain flexibility
- Custom-fit orthotics or night splints to maintain stability and proper alignment
- Surgery to remove the bunion and straighten your toe
Get relief from bunion pain by calling Dr. Richard J. Grayson of Avon Podiatry Associates in Avon, CT, at (860) 677-7733. Call today!